Monday, January 5, 2015

Sketching For Fun

I've been sketching more than usual this week . It all started when I decided to challenge myself to working with paper smaller than 11x17. I have to admit that in the last few yrs I haven't really sketched much because I already had the idea in my head and that was definitely not the best way to sharpen my skills. Now don't get me wrong, I have sketched on canvas prior to painting but that wasn't my idea of sketching at all. I had not sat and blended for hours like I had in the past. I had gotten to the place where I thought I was past the sketch proces and that couldn't have been further from the truth. Sketching will always be the foundation of creating . I realized how much I was missing when I picked up my #2b and #5b pencils to do some shading. It didn't need to be anything large and complicated . I simply just needed to fill my paper with something I had a taste for and this is what I came up with. 

This was the basics of lining everything up.




Next i usually sart with the face because likeness is crucial 

I shaded and added some highlights took about 20min

More details and a lot of shading 

This close up shows some of the pencil work 

Here's the almost finished picture . 


Practice does improve your skills. I think this 10x12 sketch came out great . 







No comments:

Post a Comment